Caregiving for a Loved One with Cancer—Including Special Considerations for Patients Receiving Checkpoint-Inhibitor Therapy
Welcome to this guide, Caregiving for a Loved One with Cancer—Including Special Considerations for Patients Receiving Checkpoint-Inhibitor Therapy. This guide is designed for healthcare providers to share with caregivers, providing information regarding the various aspects of caregiving, particularly for patients receiving checkpoint-inhibitor therapy.
Taking into consideration Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Pyramid, this document reviews
- Addressing basic needs by creating a treatment plan, supporting the patient throughout the treatment plan and with everyday activities, finances, reassurance of not being abandoned, and advanced care planning
- Addressing psychological needs including belonging and love, and esteem needs
- Addressing self-fulfilling needs such as self-actualization
- Addressing the caregiver’s needs and strategies for taking care of themselves
- Practical patient and caregiver resources for peer support and mentoring programs, as well as financial resources
This pamphlet was produced through a collaboration of AIM at Melanoma Foundation and Terranova Medica, LLC.
The development of this guide was supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Bristol Myers Squibb.
We hope you find this guide helpful in supporting both the patient and the caregiver.